Monday, August 4, 2008

Here is another thing I enjoy making

Yogurt. Here is the abbreviated recipe from More-with-Less Cookbook. I doubled the recipe today when I made it.

1. Scald utensils to be used with boiling water. (which I don't actually do)

2. Prepare the milk. Start with 1 quart. Fresh milk should be brought up to 180 degrees. Use a candy thermometer and watch closely so it doesn't boil over. Then cool milk to 110 degrees. (We use whole milk, if using skim or nonfat dry milk, add at least a little whole milk for a thicker culture.)

3. Add the starter. Buy one container of plain commercial yogurt. Stir 1/4 to 1/3 cup yogurt into 1 cup prepared milk, than add this to remaining warm milk and stir or shake briskly.
Pour milk into scalded jars and fasten lids loosely.

4. Incubate the mixture at 110-120 degrees. Set jars into styrofoam ice chest. Fill chest with warm water (110-120) to top of jars; cover. Add warm water as needed within next few hours to keep temperature up.

5. Check consistency. Yogurt should not be moved while it is setting. Check in 2-3 hours, and every half hour after that. Usually 3-6 hours is needed for junket-like consistency (isn't that a great word??). Refrigerate. Save 1/4 cup to start next batch. Yogurt stays tasty in the refrigerator 1-2 weeks.

6. Serve yogurt. Enjoy!! I really like mine with some fresh fruit, today black berries, and some granola. Chad often eats his plain with a little sugar folded in. Andrew likes his with some strawberry jam folded in and some granola on top. "Can I have some yogurt with yoga?"

Here are a few tidbits from More-with-Less...Always add fruit, sugar or honey to yogurt with a folding motion. Stirring or beating breaks down the gel. When introducing yogurt for the first time, be a little generous with the sweetener. Once people have acquired a taste for it, they will enjoy the tangy flavor for its own sake. When you spoon yogurt out of its container, there is often some watery separation. This does not affect the taste, but to avoid it entirely, stir one envelope unflavored gelatin into 1/4 cup cold water, warm to dissolve, and stir well into 1 qt. yogurt. Chill. Use this method to salvage a batch that won't thicken properly.

Yogurt takes a while to make, but once you have made it a few times it is really easy. Most of the time you are waiting ~waiting for the milk to reach 180 degrees, waiting for it to cool to 110, waiting for it to become junket-like consistency and during your waiting you can get other things accomplished as well.

5 comments:

beth said...

I am very impressed that you make yogurt Kristy! It has always intimidated me and so I've never tried it. I'm also impressed that Andrew eats it.

Sara said...

How do you find the time to do all these "food projects"? I feel like most days we are on survival mode. More power to you!

Kristi said...

Beth-you should give it a try! Andrew loves yogurt, he would prefer yogurt from a store but is learning to like this yogurt with a little jam mixed in.

Sara-I find time for these food projects, but you should see our house. Not exactly the cleanest!

Kristi said...

Beth-you should give it a try!! Andrew loves yogurt, right now he prefers store bought yogurt but when we mix in some strawberry jam with this yogurt, he will at least eat it.

Kristi said...

Beth-you should give it a try!! Andrew really likes yogurt, he does prefer store bought yogurt but when we mix in the strawberry jam with this yogurt, he will at least eat it.

Sara-I do find some time for some "food projects" but you should see our house! Not exactly clean!!